Sunday, March 27, 2022

MIKUL 6809-5 Keypad

I received some membrane keypads in the mail today. Unfortunately, I neglected to order the 4x5 Keypads I hoped to use and only ordered 4x4 and (accidentally) 3x4 keypads. No problem. The 4x4 keypad will work fine to navigate the menus, with: * as clear; # as enter; D as Main Menu. You can't quite set the clock though because it is missing the keys to select year/month/day as they are on the missing row.

Here is the pinout, which requires a small jumper board to connect to either a 4x4 or 5x4 keypad, as the P3 header is not arranged in a very logical way:

  MIKUL 6809-5        eBay    |   Alltronics
   P3 HEADER       4x4 Keypad |   5x4 Keypad
        ___ 
COL1   |1     ->   3 - ROW3   |   6 - ROW3
ROW1  ||2     ->   5 - COL1   |   5 - COL3
COL2  ||3     ->   2 - ROW2   |   2 - ROW2				
ROW2  ||4     ->   6 - COL2   |   7 - COL4
ROW3  ||5     ->   7 - COL3   |   9 - COL5
ROW4  ||6     ->   x - N/C    |   3 - COL2
COL3  ||7     ->   1 - ROW1   |   8 - ROW1
ROW5  ||8     ->   8 - COL4   |   1 - COL1
COL4   |9     ->   4 - ROW4   |   4 - ROW4
       |___      

I think these are the orignial keypads that came with the TEMPMATE and CASEMATE firmware (pics from various auction sites):

Unfortunately, I think the cheap ebay 4x5 keypads I hoped to use will not work because they have 5 rows when the MIKUL's TEMPMATE software is written to use a keypad with 5 columns.

I found a keypad at Alltronics that has the right layout for only a few dollars. That keypad only has the flat flexible cable without a PCB connector, so I had to source that too. Also, it does not have the nice clicky metal domes in it so it feels mushy, but it works, and I can finally set the clock!:

No comments:

Post a Comment