Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Day 1.5: Temporal Fraud

After a bit of research, I realized that the QRE1113 "Reflective Object Sensor" (Digital) that I had purchased for the line sensor would not work for my 1-bit robot. Although it is advertised as "Digital" it requires a microcontroller to charge up a small capacitor and time how long it takes to discharge - "the faster that capacitor discharges, the more reflective the surface is." What, what? Timing a discharging capacitor is not "Digital". I don't even know what that is... "temporal" maybe? The advantage is that you get a gradient input, and you would test for your cut-off (on vs off the line) in software. But there is no way I can do that with my 1-bit MC14500b processor. I could rewire the sensor to be the same as the analog version, then send the signal to a comparator circuit, but I really don't wnat to get bogged down in that during the short time I have dedicated to work on this.

Fortunately, I found a standard sensor board that includes the comparator circuit and will give me a nice adjustable "1 or 0" binary output (or analog if I want). It's certainly not era-appropriate, but the LM393 comparator circuit is probably not too different from what might have been used back in the day.

TCRT5000 IR Photoelectric Reflective Sensor, front and back.

After getting new sensors ordered, I went to work on the output driver board. I basically copied a circuit I found online for driving small DC motors and duplicated it four times. I know I will need two drivers- one for each wheel, and maybe one more for the sound/light board, and I added a fourth just because it all looked so tidy that way. I still need to get a piece of metal for the heatsink, finalize the layout and get it soldered down. I used TIP110 transistors because they were cheaper and could handle more than enough current to drive the 1.5Amp max power (stalled) requirements of each motor. For a modern build, a MOSFET like the IRFZ44 would be better choice and would have an even simpler circuit. I bought some MOSFETs to test out and if I get this running I will make an interchangeable 'modern' driver board. Note the shrouded connector that will help orient the ribbon cables carrying 9V, 5V, GND and input signals. I also added some jumpers to select whether to use +5V or +9V output voltage.

Pencil drawing of the driver board layout and the assembled, but not soldered, board.

Stay Tuned for some more thorough exposition and background once I start working on the MC14500b processor circuit.

Current Part List:

Chassis
Input
  • Line Sensor Breakout - QRE1113 (Digital)
  • TCRT5000 IR Photoelectric Reflective Sensor
Output
  • 4 x TIP110 Darlington Transistors
  • 4 x 2.2K resistors
  • 2x5pin shrouded header, Murphy's Surplus
  • Single row straight pin header, cut to 4 pieces with 3 pins each

No comments:

Post a Comment