Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Day 8: Minimaler ICU System

While trying to wire up this breadboard, I realized that I had already made enough changes that it probably warranted another schematic. I mentioned in a recent post (Day 6) that the MC14599 addressable latch in the "Minimal ICU System" schematic in the MC14500b Handbook is only used as an output register. Well, I realized that is not true. One of them is used as register that the processor can read and write to, like RAM. Well, I don't need that part because will be connecting some lines of my data selector to the output register, giving me a couple bits of RAM for free, since I am not using all of the input or output lines. Between this change and my decision to use the more affordable MC 14099 addressable latch, I had made a lot of changes to the control logic. So, an updated schematic was in order. I didn't want to start a schematic from scratch, so I just edited the schematic in the handbook today:

Simplified ICU schematic
This simpler ICU system is my "Minimaler ICU System". It doesn't show every connection, but it will definitely help me complete my breadboard wire-up while I work out the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment