Sunday, December 30, 2012

Retro Research

I took some time this weekend to get a jump on the Retrochallenge. As the Disk ][ emulator will be my first hardware build from the ground up using standard digital logic integrated circuits, I have been doing a lot of research and note taking. Copying or just assembling an existing circuit can be hard enough on in its own. Learning a new (for me) technology (even if it is excruciatingly well documented) takes a lot of time and preparation.

As Sun Tzu said:
To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of virtues.
Speaking of "rustics":

Rusty IIgs Horror Show!Reading Material
Oddly enough, my automotive bodywork skills may come in handy here.

I can't encourage any electronics experimenter enough to get one of these data books. These cost me $1 a piece at my local surplus store. Sure the data-sheets for all of these ICs are online, but it is so much easier turning a page than searching, finding and opening the right PDF, saving it, closing the pop-up ads...

No comments:

Post a Comment