Saturday, January 26, 2013

Good Enough

Finding ways to reduce the latency between sector transfers is getting tougher and tougher. The UM232H writes and reads packets with low latency, but when it goes back and forth between the two, significant delays occur.

I used some source code from MAME to load the different disk image formats. I had to make extensive edits to get it working outside of MAME though. ProDos and DOS 3.3 disks work fine. Most game disk images I have tried are working:
  • Moonpatrol
  • Choplifter
  • Ms. PacMan
  • Bouncing Kumungas!
  • Jungle Hunt
  • Donkey Kong
  • Mario Bros.
Still no Karateka though.
I think it is 'good enough' for now. A computer faster than my PowerBook G4 might help. Here is video of my progress:



The LCD viewfinder is broken on the camera, so I missed my shot a few times.

I added a logging level option to the command arguments after I shot this video. I can set the verbosity at run time instead of needing to re-compile. I am working on my schematic today to make sure it is up to date.

I received my surface mount resistors for the IIgs from China earlier this week. I only needed one of each, but I could only buy 100 of each. Anybody need 198 surface mount resistors?

No comments:

Post a Comment