Thursday, March 7, 2019

LED Displays - Makin' Modules

The common anode 7 segment LEDs arrived from China yesterday, so I started assembling some modules that include the resistors and transistor necessary for each display. My plan is to mount these on a zig-zag Busboard to easily connect all of the pins for each segment, without a bunch of jumper wires.

My LEDs are smaller than the originals with a different pinout. Since I can't find the exact data sheet for them online, I need to do some experimentation before I solder anything in. As I was working, I noticed 5 pins of the modules that should not be connected to the bus. Rather than cut traces between each module, I just broke the legs off of the sockets. I can use those bus lines to carry the signals that select each display, instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment