Tuesday, March 12, 2019

LED Module Mayhem

New Module Diagram

I had some time to test out my LED modules, only to discover that the pinout I used was not correct. I assumed the common anode was on pins 1 and 6 based on some spec sheets I found. This made it convenient to wire up as a module since there is an anode close to the top to connect with the transistor leg. Unfortunately, I discovered that the actual pinout has the common anode on pins 3 and 8 (see diagram). As a result, I have to rebuild all of my modules with new sockets, and figure out a way to run a jumper to the middle of the LED without interfering with the adjacent modules.

I also made a diagram of how the modules will connect to the back of the BusBoard. I always get confused soldering everything backwards unless I have a diagram. Unfortunately, after I had already cut a few of the traces, I realized that I put VCC (+5V power) on pin 1 instead of pin 16 where it usually is. I guess that is not too big of a deal though, so I am just keeping it as-is. The current-limiting resistors from the buffer start from under the adjacent LED so I have room for them to lay down on the board.

LED Board Diagram
Black = male header on the copper side;
Grey = LED module / socket on the board side;
Yellow = jumpers; Red = cut traces

Finally, I just received some 6x8mm proto-boards to be the main board for the LED BusBoard and the keyboard to mount on. They fit nicely into a Serpac handheld enclosure that I found a while back at my local electronics surplus store.

No comments:

Post a Comment